When there's a will, there's a way, and it's simpler than you think! Here are my top 10 on the go foods which don't require refrigeration:
1. Organic Beef or Turkey Jerky. You can also find tuna jerky, but it tends to be pretty high in sodium if you are concerned about that.
2. Avocados. All you need is a dull knife and a paper towel to wipe hands.
3. Mary's Gone Crackers. Many of these products are made with 100% whole food ingredients.
4. Fresh Vegetables and Fruit (other than avodados :). I personally don't pack dried fruit or freeze dried vegetables because I find them to be easy to overeat.
5. Nuts/Seeds. You can buy in bulk, but if you're like me and you lose track of how many you have eaten, separate into small packs, or buy them in individual packets.
6. Nut/Seeds butters. Again, you can buy in jars, but if you keep putting the spoon back in, buy the individual packets which are much lighter too!
7. Roasted Chickpeas. There are tons of pre-made brands on the market, but you can easily bake your own!
8. Popped Corn. Popped corn is high in fiber and super low calorie if you eat it plain or with a light spray of olive oil and some salt.
9. Just add water - soups and plain oatmeal. If I am heading out of town for a few days, I'll take some of these with me because you can get boiling water at any hotel or restaurant.
10. Peel off top canned fishes. Warning! Don't eat these in a small space with other people or it may be hard to make friends :). That being said, they are an easy and portable protein rich food.
BONUS: A well insulated lunch sack with an ice pack can provide a day's worth of food if you don't have access to a fridge but want to keep certain things cool. A thermos is also a great addition to the lunch sack for hot or cold food.